Today started off rainy. We I usually wake up around 6:30 AM to get the kids’ clothes together. You would think by now that I would iron everything at the beginning of the week but my lethargy always prevents me from doing so. I dropped the kids off at their schools and came back for a few tranquil moments alone until it was time to really start my day.

My daughter had a Christmas program today and she didn’t stop talking about it until the day came. I went there and ate lunch with her. For 30 minutes, I was known as “Iyanna’s Mom” and the kids thought/think I was/I am pretty cool. I can’t remember how many questions I was asked but they all seemed appalled that I was also a student, who survived the first semester of graduate school and got a 3.5. :woot: I guess that was what made me so cool.

Afterwards, I did a little Christmas shopping. . that’s if you call finding three gifts Christmas shopping. But nevertheless, I’m four gifts in. I was on the hunt to find some wedge heels for my 7-year-old. -_- You read that correctly. She sooooo wants to be me. Needless to say, I had zero luck and hope I’ll be able to find something when we head to Texas. I have yet to pack one single garment for this 6-hour 4-day vacation ahead of us.

The day began and ended well but there were moments where sadness consumed me. While eating lunch with my daughter, I thought about my mom. She always accompanied me to these types of events. She always wanted to be a part of the lives and educations of her grandchildren. I didn’t cry today, but I wanted to. My son doesn’t seem to understand what’s going because today, after picking him up from his school, he wanted to go and “see Momo.” I stood frozen for a bit. I think his teacher noticed because only when I heard her say, “I’m sorry for your loss” was I able to move again.

But today.. today turned out to be a great day. We sang along to Radio Disney. We told knock-knock jokes. I made funny faces and watched as those silly faces tickled them pink in my rearview mirror. I raced them from the parking lot to our front door. I must have looked real silly running in boots and a blazer.. all dressed up. But, I thought I was pretty amazing, especially since I didn’t collapse from all that strenuous activity as soon as I made it to my living room.

We’ll be ok. Everything is going to be ok. After all, we still have our lives to live. There are still laughs to laugh. I still have so much love to give. We deserve to be happy.

5 Must-Dos + Must-Haves When Traveling with Kids

1. Blessing

December 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm

So proud of you lady! Yeah grad school can be tough while working full-time, add kids to the mix and its something else entirely. You are doing great, keep up the good work.
    Friday Featuring FeminismMy Profile

2. The Mrs./ The Mom

December 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love the perspective of your photography. I’m also feeling your outfit. It’s super cute, casual, and comfy!
    WW: GratefulMy Profile

3. LaNeshe

December 21, 2012 at 8:31 am

Congrats on completing your first semester of grad school! We never think we’ll be in school as long as we will when we’re kids lol.
    I’m on a 50 best tweets list!My Profile

4. G K

December 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm

What a beautiful post — pics and words. (And you. Girl, you are GORGEOUS.)

Congrats on a great first semester of grad school. Kudos to you for doing with with two kids. My hero.

I’m glad to hear that you and the kids had a great day. I think there’s more where that came from.

1. Raely B.

December 25, 2012 at 8:18 pm

You always know exactly what to say. I appreciate you more than you can imagine. Thank you!

5. Britton

December 22, 2012 at 11:31 am

We do seem like the coolest parents ever when we go visit for lunch, right? I’m glad that even though you had a moment, you still were able to be there for your daughter! I love your look as well!
    Chronicles of Max: Week 3My Profile

1. Raely B.

December 25, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Super Cool and thank you!

6. kat

December 22, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Good job on your first semester of grad school. A 3.5?! Nice. Can’t wait until I head that way sooner than later. Sounds like you have some what of a festive day. BTW I love your bracelet and sorry about the loss of your mother. I could only imagine.
    The Facial BAttleMy Profile

1. Raely B.

December 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

It’s definitely tough, but each day gets better.

Good luck in graduate school.

7. Miss SP

December 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Your outfit was too cute, red is definitely your color! I feel you 100000% girl. Preparing outfits at the beginning of the week would definitely save so much time but finding the energy to do so is a mission in itself.

Random but I love how you almost always include pictures in your posts, I defnitely need to start doing the same. What kind of camera do you have? Looks like a Nikon?

I can’t imagine how difficult this time must be for you, but you are incredibly STRONG. You definitely inspire me, know that. God blessXOXO
    #CurlyHairProblems… ContinuedMy Profile

1. Raely B.

December 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I’m really drawn to blogs that include pictures. Not that I need them, but I love photography. I use a Nikon L810, my old Sony Mavica from time to time (when I feel like being bothered with the cd-rws), and I use my Evo LTE when I need to snap something quick without people wanting to know why I’m taking pictures.

I’m glad I can be an inspiration, but know that you are an inspiration to me as well. (:

8. Jessica L

December 23, 2012 at 7:40 am

WE did survive! I wasn’t the slightest bit worried! Those Mayans are gone anyways! What did they know?! Hah! And Iove owls too! -Jessica L

THEJESSICALBLOG.COM

1. Raely B.

December 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Ha! Exactly.. we’re still here!

9. Faith

December 26, 2012 at 8:46 pm

You are stunning.

I’m very sorry to hear of the loss of your mom. Sending prayers your way.

10. Krissy

December 27, 2012 at 10:47 am

I too am sorry for you loss but this post made me smile.

1. Rae

January 1, 2013 at 7:02 am

I made me smile writing it and every time I return to reread it.

11. Kay

December 30, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Your camera angles is the shit! Real talk. Love coming to your blog.
    Happy Holidays!My Profile

12. Mimi

January 1, 2013 at 2:45 am

Yes for the pictures! I hope you continue this practice.

Yes, you all will be fine. I caught a visual of your ass racing those kids in your blazer and I laughed!! I spied those hips too..I ain’t mad tho!
    Just Another MANICure MondayMy Profile

1. Rae

January 1, 2013 at 7:02 am

LOL!!!! I’m sure the passerbys did too!