It’s been a little over a month since my last post here — and all with good reason. The hiatus was unplanned but definitely necessary. I allowed myself the time to catch up on a lot of things that I let slip through the cracks when you’re still mentally on vacation, but you’re physically trying to take care of your everyday duties. So if you’ve missed me a bit, here’s a little of what I’ve been up to these last few weeks.

Back to Life. Back to Reality.

Which really only means that I had to readjust to waking up early in the morning to get these kids out to school. My daughter started middle school and my son transitioned to 3rd grade (yes, baby boy is really tall) and I didn’t cry.

The morning routine has changed a bit though, especially since the kids are older and they have no other choice but to be a bit more responsible. I’ve completely stepped away from prepping uniforms and clothing. That’s over. It’s canceled. */Joann voice. My children are in charge of washing their uniforms, ironing, and prepping anything else they need to prep.

Because I Know What It’s Like

The weather for the last few weeks has been crazy. Parts of Houston and surrounding areas were engulfed in water and just recently, Florida and Georgia experienced Hurricane Irma. And not to mention, all those countries and U.S. Territories out in the Caribbean… it’s devastating and heartbreaking. Mainly because I know what it’s like. I know what it’s like to have to leave in the middle of the night with all that you can, only to return to a home completely destroyed. I know what it’s like to have that pile of destruction out on the street everywhere you turn. I know what it’s like to be displaced for months. It’s heartbreaking and stressful as fuck.

[CNN]
My fiancé and I drove out to Dallas over the Labor Day weekend to drop off donations that we had gathered from friends and family here in Louisiana. I’m also planning on sending donations and care packages to other areas that were affected. It’s literally the least I can do. Simply because that was me just a year ago – and if it wasn’t for those somebodies – friends, family, strangers, etc. who said, “I have to help her. I have to help these people.”, the entire process would have been much harder to push through.

Staying Still.

Traveling is a form of self-care for me. It allows me to escape and release. More importantly, it serves as the perfect method of being able to reset. But because I’ve been remodeling my home for a year now, it was time to finally finish. And that meant that I had to be stateside to do so. So traveling was halted. I had initially planned to visit New York for the first time and experience Afropunk, but priorities first and always. Additionally, the time stateside has surprisingly been the perfect pause that I’ve needed. Mind you, I completed my Mom Cave/Home Office, my master bath shower has been installed, barn door in the kitchen, etc.. and all that remains is the installation of a hall closet door and cosmetic updates. I’m pleased and can’t wait to do a reveal soon.

Fall Reading List

It’s the last month of Q3 and I’ve only read about 5 books this year. FIVE. And that is absolutely a disgrace. I’ve always been a person who loved to read. I could spend an entire day at the library and wonder how the day could have passed so quickly when I only read 5 books in a day. Of course, that was pre-mommyhood. But now my kids are much older so that’s really no excuse. I am going to blame it on the stressors ( the first draft of my thesis that I submitted this year – WOOT) in my life that leaves me completely drained at the end of the day. But lately, I’ve been pushing past all that. AND, I still have a few months in the year to at least get to my goal of reading 52 books for the year. Or maybe 26, if I’m being a bit more realistic with myself.

I have a list of books that I want to read by the end of this year, but I’m always adding or rearranging the list. But I figured it I put it out there, the blog universe would hold me accountable. Perhaps. Chile, I don’t know but we shall see.

What’s up with ya’ll tho?

Ceres + Inverndoorn Nature Reserve

Simon’s Town: Boulder’s Beach, Cape Point, a Township + Muizenburg

When It Snows in Louisiana

1. Bee Lola

September 15, 2017 at 8:48 am

Homegoing is still possibly the best book I read this year from start to finish! Doesn’t help that I got to finish a slave trade site while I was home right after I got done reading it, which made everything feel so much more real. Amazing book that I could never recommend enough. The whole hurricane thiing is still so surreal because we left for the US Virgin Islands a few days before Harvey hit, and we had the most amazing time and made the most out of our extended stay. And now watching the devastation in the Carribean and Miami is so heart wrenching and I feel as helpless as I did watching the floodwaters rise in Houston while I was away. And to think people still don’t believe in climate change. Wishing your kids and yourself an amazing schoolyear!!!

2. Harper

September 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm

I still haven’t finished a bunch of books. I might do that tomorrow. I keep buying books to read and they just sit on my kindle app. I love that your kids are doing their own laundry. I’m going to have my kids start in kindergarten tho. We gon skip some steps lol

3. Kayla

September 16, 2017 at 8:40 am

I had been looking forward to a new post, and probably annoyed you with my constant reminders on twitter and insta detailing how much I was looking forward to a new post. I love how you decided to give back to storm victims, and one of your primary basis being that you know that feelings. All too often, we get delivered from our despair and forget those who experience it. Kudos to finishing that thesis!!! I am so looking forward to the big reveal on the house. I feel as if this is a bit of an HGTV moment for me lol.

4. Daenel T.

September 16, 2017 at 6:10 pm

I remember when they were babies!!!! Like you, I made my kids responsible for their clothes when they were that age too. Trust me, they will appreciate it. When my kids went to college, they said there were so many kids who didn’t know how to do laundry…

My daughter and her family are in Houston. Mercifully, their home wasn’t damaged, so she’s been helping others who lost their homes. I’m so proud of her. The weather has been crazy.

I haven’t read as much as I’d hoped this year either. I’ve just been lazy. No other excuse.

5. Amanda Nicole

September 16, 2017 at 11:21 pm

Although I’ve been still for awhile now, I AM READY TO GO! or Maybe I need to find a cheap flight and Airbnb for three days or so. Reading, I haven’t read a thing this year, next year will be different! I’m trying to find the best organization to donate to but that hasn’t been an easy task with so much going on. I’m not a mom yet but watching them grow must be amazing! #momoftheyear Glad all is well and your home renovations are almost complete, can’t wait for the reveal!

6. Mimi

September 17, 2017 at 1:24 am

Fiancé?! I missed that. Please don’t make me be a wedding crasher!

I have been reading the same book since January so there’s that.

7. Vaneese

September 18, 2017 at 11:06 am

It’s wonderful that you’re giving to the storm victims. I couldn’t even imagine the tremendous loss they’ve (you’ve) experienced. While I hate these tragedies and would never want them to happen, I can’t deny how great it is to see so many people coming together to help people they don’t even know. If we could make this an every day, non-disaster related thing, the world might be on to something.
    I made it a point to put books back in my life this year and it has made a big difference in so many ways. I have the same goal (52 books) as you. So far, I’m about halfway there but of course that means I’m behind since it’s already September. Oh well, progress over perfection.

8. Kay

September 18, 2017 at 11:12 am

I know what it’s like too. Hurricane sandy did a number to us. We’re not occustomed to that kind of weather up here and you got a dose of reality. I’m feel bad all around because my family in the carribean experience hurricanes yearly. I lived it from birth when growing in the islands. It’s not fun. At least you guys are donating here in America. When never receive donations or help growing up. You and the fiancé is a blessing. You do good you revive good energy and blessing 10x times over but I’m quite sure you’re not looking for nothing in return. ??

I’m trying to get my daughter more responsible when it comes to her morning routines. I’ve added hygienic routines. Ummm…making sure she packs her own bag. The only I do is make sure she does everything correctly. I’m not loosing her foot 100%. I don’t trust her just yet. She always forgets her socks but that the least of my worries.

Books? What part of the day do you find for that? I’ll get to a half a page and pass out without warning. I’d love to know what reading a book feels like again. My jobs drains me and the kids finish me off. ?

9. Faith

September 19, 2017 at 9:30 am

I’ve been so awful with reading books this year! I’m embarrassed to admit that I’ve read 2 1/2 books this year. I’m hoping to get a few more in before the year is over but I won’t hold my breath.

It’s an amazing thing when you’re able to relate with people when you’ve gone through the same thing. I think it makes your help mean more at times because you’re not just sympathetic because you were once them.

I’m really looking forward to you sharing pictures of your home. I’ve looked the sneak pics I’ve been able to see through Instastories :)